What is the Market Technicians Association’s CMT?
The Chartered Market Technician (CMT) Program is a certification process in which candidates are required to demonstrate proficiency in a broad range of technical analysis subjects. Administered by the Accreditation Committee of the Market Technicians Association (MTA), Inc., the Program consists of three levels. CMT Level 1 and CMT Level 2 are multiple choice exams while CMT Level 3 is in essay form.
The objectives of the CMT Program are:
- To guide candidates in mastering a professional body of knowledge and in developing analytical skills;
- To promote and encourage the highest standards of education; and
- To grant the right to use the professional designation of Chartered Market Technician (CMT) to those members who successfully complete the Program and agree to abide by the MTA Code of Ethics.
In order to be granted your CMT designation, you must meet the following requirements:
- Successful completion of all three (3) levels of the CMT Exam.
- Have obtained ‘Member Status’ within the MTA.
- Have been gainfully employed in a professional analytical or investment management capacity for a minimum period of three (3) years and must be regularly engaged in this capacity at the time of successfully passing all three (3) levels of the CMT Exam.
Value of the CMT
The Chartered Market Technician (CMT) program offers a structured approach to study technical analysis and ensure all key areas are covered. The CMT can help to open doors that may lead to job opportunities. The CMT demonstrates to Wall Street that you are a professional in the field of technical analysis. For those seeking a more traditional Wall Street analyst job, passing the first two CMT exams provides a significant step towards attaining the “Registered Research Analyst” designation from FINRA. Even if you’re not looking for a FINRA exemption but rather just to learn technical analysis, the CMT Program offers a structured, organized, and comprehensive way to do so.
- Michael Carr, CMT published a fantastic article about the MTA’s CMT Program and his journey towards receiving his designation in SFO Magazine. You can read this article here.
- View our latest CMT Informational Session Webcast
- Watch a short video discussing the Value of the CMT Designation.
Kaplan Professional Technical Analysis Education
Kaplan Professional is a leading provider of education and training to the financial services industry in Australia. They are currently offering two technical analysis programs designed to give you a deeper knowledge of technical analysis to help you manage your own fund.
Who should enrol?
- Private traders
- Self-directed investors
This program introduces some of the most important and extensively used specialised techniques in technical analysis. Learn and develop skills in construction, interpretation, the application of specialised charting and the important theories that underlie these techniques. Practical examples are demonstrated via application of learnt techniques to a variety of markets. Find out more.
This program introduces the key concepts and tools required to perform technical analysis. With a wealth of examples and hands on learning features, the subject facilitates the development of skills in the construction, interpretation and application of charts to a variety of markets. Find out more.
Note: Both programs are delivered and assessed at postgraduate level.
More Information & Enrolment
Comments or questions are welcome.